Guide to Registering Vehicles Coming from Abroad

The registration of a vehicle is a prerequisite before you can drive it on public roads. You must register and affix the registration plates before you can drive any motor vehicle, as well as trailers and semi-trailers with a maximum authorised mass of more than 750 kilograms.

Once you have completed the registration process, you will be given your vehicle registration number and the vehicle registration certificate. With this documentation you will be able to purchase your number plates.

You must carry out this procedure for any new vehicle and for used or new vehicles coming from abroad. If the vehicle you intend to register is a historic vehicle, or if what you need are temporary number plates to drive it while you are processing its definitive registration, the procedure to carry out is different from the usual one.

What do you need?

  • Completed application form.
  • Electronic MOT card (NIVE) or MOT card in paper format Help with the sales document or, failing that, invoice or award certificate if it comes from auction.
  • Proofof having made the payment of the corresponding registration fee of the DGT or receipt of the same.
  • Proof of having previously paid the taxes required to carry out the procedure in traffic:
    • Proof of payment or exemption from the road tax of the Town Hall where you are resident.
    • Proof of payment/exemption/exemption/non-subjection of the Registration Tax (model 576, 06 or 05 of the Agencia Estatal Tributaria), except in the case of trailers.


In addition to the general documentation, you will need to provide the following documentation depending on whether the vehicle is new or used and where it comes from:

New vehicles (not previously registered):

  • Acquired in the European Union and Northern Ireland:
    • Proof of payment of VAT (form 309 or 300 of the State Tax Agency) or proof of being included in the census of VAT taxpayers
    • Technical report issued by the ITV.
  • Acquired in countries outside the EU:
    • Single Administrative Document (SAD) issued by Customs, unless the ITV card shows the vehicle's import document.
    • Technical data sheet issued by the ITV.

Used vehicles:

  • Acquired in the EU and Northern Ireland:
    • Original documentation of the vehicle.
    • Technical report issued by the ITV.
    • Document justifying the corresponding payment to the tax authorities:
    • If it is a sale between private individuals, Contract of sale accompanied by a translation and Transfer Tax.
    • If the vehicle is purchased from a dealer in a country other than Spain, you must provide an invoice showing the VAT number.
    • If you purchase the vehicle from a Spanish dealer, you must provide an invoice and a document issued by the Tax Authorities, proving that you are registered in that activity during the corresponding financial year.
  •  Acquired in countries outside the EU:
    • Original documentation of the vehicle.
    • Single Administrative Document (DUA) issued by Customs, unless the vehicle's ITV card shows that the vehicle has been imported.

Vehicles, new or used, originating in the United Kingdom, except Northern Ireland, imported after 1 January 2021 must comply with the requirements applicable to vehicles purchased outside the EU. In the event that the vehicle has EU status, the requirements for vehicles purchased in the EU shall apply provided that the certificate issued by the AEAT certifying this status is presented.

Processing Costs

  • In order to register a vehicle you have to pay a registration fee:

The 1.1 fee of 98.78 euros

For mopeds:

  • The 1.2 fee of 27.57 Euros

Who can carry out the process?

The registration of a vehicle must be done by the purchaser-owner or any person authorised on his behalf.

To authorise another person to act on your behalf, you can appoint a representative through our Authorisation register.

Also, in case of carrying out the procedure in person, you can go in person as long as you have a document signed by the interested party where he/she authorizes you to make the request, and where he/she expresses his/her free character. To do so, download and fill in the DGT authorisation form "Granting of representation".

If the procedure is to be carried out by another person on your behalf, when requesting the appointment at the 060, you must indicate the DNI of the interested party and also that of the authorised person.

Source: DGT

¡Haz clic para puntuar esta entrada!
(Votos: 0 Promedio: 0)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Scroll to Top
Abrir chat
¡Hola! 👋 ¿En qué te podemos Ayudar?
¡Hola! 👋 ¿En qué te podemos Ayudar?